Saturday, September 17, 2011

H is for Help

I just finished reading The Help by Kathryn Stockett
I don't normally jump on the bandwagon of the books that are uber popular. Such as Harry Potter, for example. I've never seen or read those movies/books, and really have no desire to. However, I do have to admit, I got hooked on Twilight after a friend almost force fed the first movie down my throat. It got me curious, and my curiosity got me hooked. But back to The Help. My-oh-my was it eye opening. It makes me wish that I could read the book that is talked about in the book. Many people probably already know what it's about, have probably read, or maybe even have seen the movie.

But it is a definite recommend by me. If you've got the patience to read through a novel filled with a southern drawl (that only took me a few chapters to really catch on, so give it a try) then this book will leave you wishing for more just like it. Seriously, it made me grateful that I live in the times I live in. Yeah, we've got our issues with terrorism, war, economical crises, and much more (don't get me wrong, I'm not minimizing these) but at least we have our eyes open to humanity. People of different races can intermingle - we've got a Multi-Racial/African-American President for goodness sakes! I'm so glad that I didn't grow up as a "white person" naive to other humans, no matter what race, like in this book. I like to think that I would have grown up appreciating and treating all people equally, but the truth is, I really don't know. What I do know is that I'm glad to have friends of other races and cultures who can teach me new things about cultures different than my own. To my friends, thank you.

No comments: