Sunday, August 21, 2011

L is for Love

Disclaimer: It's a long one.

As I mentioned in the post about Lily's birthday, it's our First Anniversary! Josh and I were married on August 21, 2010, in a wedding that was perfect for our personalities. And now, here were are, one year later, with new accomplishments, new goals, new perspectives and the rest of our lives ahead of us. But, as promised, our story:

The very first time I met Josh was at Gladstone Christian Church. I should preface by saying that Kody, my younger brother, had been in a bible study with him for a while. I'd heard Kody talk about Josh before, but it didn't mean much since I'd never met him. Apparently, Kody had told Josh "You should date my sister." Josh asked "Is she cute?" To which Kody responded "Well, she's my sister, but I'd say she's pretty cute."

Head back in time with me to the summer of 2008, Gladstone's Sunday evening service. This tall, skinny man was sitting in front of me with a little blonde girl, and Levi (who I'd only met a couple times at this point). I put the pieces together, and figured out who that guy was with Levi. After the service, I was introduced to Josh and Lily, chatting with them, Levi, and some of my family for a little while.  After Josh, Levi and Lily left, Kody informed me that he told Josh he could date me. My response? "Great, I don't even know Josh." 

Not long after, Kody was moving to California to be close to his soon-to-be wife, Emily. My parents threw him a small going away party. Guess who came...Josh and Levi. At one point, Josh was sitting next to me, and started reading aloud a text I had received from a friend. Feeling like I'd been invaded by someone I barely knew (although unbelievably cute), I wasn't sure what my opinion on him was. I mean, really, who does that?

Fast forward one year. I'll spare you the details of our both of our journeys over the course of that year. We had gone our separate ways and learned more about ourselves than I think we ever could have imagined. But, as God planned it, those separate paths led back to each other on Avery's first birthday. Josh and Levi had spent some time with Erik, my brother-in-law (although I'll refer to him as my brother, because, well, he is my brother now) and they'd formed some pretty good friendships. So, there we are. Both available. With Kody's suggestion of dating back in our minds. 


At Avery's Party
I'd be lying if I said there wasn't any flirting. I know that day that Josh was husband material.  Maybe I even knew that one day he'd be my husband. Ok, I knew. I can't explain how I knew, but I knew. *Pause* At this party, people were already scheming about Josh and I getting together. Tabitha partook in this by trying to text me that we would have cute babies. Instead, her text said "You would have cute bacon." HILARIOUS.

After that, conveniently, if I was ever going to hang out with Steph, Erik and Avery, Josh would be there. If Josh was helping Erik with their bathroom, I would get invited over. Subtle, right? But it worked. We spent alot (ALOT) of time together that summer, including beach and camping trips (not even dating yet):



I think the key to lasting relationships is building a friendship first. Even though I knew that we would date and marry one day, I enjoyed being Josh's friend. He made me laugh, was lighthearted, and listened to everything I said. He would repeat back the most random things that I didn't even remember saying, leaving me to wonder "How does he know that about me?" While being his friend, I started falling in love with him, whether I was ready to admit it or not. I think he would say the same. Josh and I would talk about our relationship on occasion. He would tell me about how he was waiting for God to tell him it was time. He was serious about it, and I respected that, even appreciated it. It was amazing to see a man wait and rely on God to show him the right time.


On the way home from a beach trip, Josh *finally* asked me on a "light date." This date was coffee and a walk, which I think ended up being about 4 miles or something. We talked the entire time, enjoying each others' company to no end. A few days later, we went on a real date. But before we could do that, Josh wanted to assure my parents that his intentions were good. Let me tell you, if you haven't experienced a man traditionally pursuing you, it a special feeling. It was so reassuring to hear him speak highly of me, to my parents, and to hear that he had the best of intentions for me and for our relationship. If I didn't know before, I knew then that he would be my husband. He even brought me flowers; but not traditional flowers. Yellow gerber daisies and pink calla lilies. My two favorite colors and two favorite flowers. See? He listened to everything.


By the end of August, we were pretty much inseparable from then on. I think we probably spent time together every day unless he was out of town working. Then, on March 20, 2010, Josh and I had a weekend where Lily was with her mom (his planning, I'm sure) and we were able to head up to Seattle for the day. I thought it was like any other day, and was just excited to get out of town and have a Saturday of from school. As I look back now, I realize that Josh was super nervous, distracted, and a little high strung. But at the time, I had now clue. We met up with my friend Tonya for lunch at Pike Place Chowder (if you've never been, you HAVE TO GO! Best chowder ever.) and then parted ways. Josh wanted to go to the EMP, but we were thoroughly disappointed to find it was closing right as we got there. Josh played it off really well when I suggested "Well, let's go up the Space Needle instead." While up on the observation deck, Josh proposed, and it was beautiful and perfect. Once back inside, Josh informed me that we had reservations in the Sky City Restaurant at the top of the Space Needle. Me response: "What? You planned all of this?" He didn't even care about the stupid EMP. 




Calling my parents


4 months later, on August 21, 2010 we were married in a beautiful wedding:







One year later, here we are. Josh has finished his plumbing school, I finished my Masters in Teaching, and Lily is going into 4th grade. It was a long, busy year, but I wouldn't change it for the world. 


7 comments:

Stephanie said...

Yeah. You're welcome. : )

P.S. You guys are cute.

My-cliffnotes said...

Bacon, ahhahahahahahahahaah I'm so smart sometimes. SO cute, Happy Anniversary!!!!!
Love you three!

My-cliffnotes said...

I'm at my-cliffnotes.blogspot.com

Amy said...

Thanks! I was afraid you got rid of it, and I was going to be sad that I wasn't going to be able to live vicariously through your many adventures anymore!

Katrina said...

YAY i love your blog. now i can stalk you! yessss. happy anniversary!!!!!

Amy said...

Thanks Katrina! I guess we're even now, because I also stalk you through your blog! :)

Jodi Kendall said...

What a sweet story, happy anniversary! My husband and I began as friends as well... and he continues to be my best friend :)