Wednesday, August 17, 2011

J is for Job...or lack of one.

I recently finished my Masters in Teaching (in June) and am now on the job hunt. I remember the day of orientation in October 2009, our adviser at CityU told us that we "will be graduating at a great time. Our economy should improve, and teacher jobs will increase in the next two years." HAHAHAHA....oh, that wasn't a joke? Well, schools are desperate right now to cut back on spending, and have almost no job openings. Plus, even if there are job openings, do you think districts want to hire someone who has 3 months of student teaching under their belt, and no other experience in their own classroom? Probably not. But, I do know that God has a plan for me, and that I'll know it on His time, not mine. I've heard this quote numerous times, and I wish I knew who said it - "God is never late, He's seldom early, but He's always on time." I have to remind myself of that quite frequently, as I want to know the future all the time.

I got my temporary permit in the mail today. This just means my official certificate is on it's way (12-14 weeks seems a bit excessive) and for now, I'm ok to teach with the temp permit. How exciting is it?


I have to admit, I did have a job offer. The church I go to, First Evangelical, has a school as well: Hosanna Christian School. Pastor Steve, who is also Hosanna's principal, has been talking with me off and on throughout the summer about possibly having a position open, most likely part time depending on student enrollment. So, yesterday I met with him, kind of officially, and he offered me a part-time position teaching math and science to 7th and 8th graders. Oh my, was it a tempting offer. Yes, I want to work. I want to plan my own lessons. I want students to teach. I want consistency (as much consistency as you can get as a teacher). BUT, my ultimate goal is to be in a public school, full time. It was so so so tempting to accept, but I felt as if I would be settling, and not pursuing my dreams. Not that working for Hosanna is settling by any means, but to work only part time, and having virtually no opportunities to get my face and name out in the public schools would be detrimental to what I feel called to do. It was really hard to say no to a job. I cried about it. I prayed about it. I talked about it. I sought advice about it. And here I am, wondering if I made the right decision, but knowing deep down that I did.

From a student perspective, it seems like subbing would be the crappiest job on earth. But from a new teacher's perspective, I'm excited about it. I'll be developing classroom management skills, which literally can make or break a teacher. And there's always room to improve in that area. I'll get to experience a wide variety of students, schools, staff, ages, and will know for sure what I like and what I'm good at...and yes, even what I need to work on. I'm ready though. Ready to work. Ready to be a teacher.

1 comment: