Tuesday, June 4, 2013

K is for Kindergarten (and other letters are for other things)

I finally rediscovered my long lost blog.

Ok, it wasn't lost. I failed miserably at being a blogger. Want to know why? Well first,  Summer ended and that meant that things get crazy as a teacher for the beginning of the year. The last time my blog followers (all five of you, haha) heard from me, I was a substitute teacher with a new house, a plumber husband and a ridiculously huge tent.

Boy, have things changed! Don't fret, the tent part is the same. And the house. But here are the recent* happenings. *By recent, I mean in the last year.

1) I became a kindergarten teacher. Yeah, me. I teach kindergarten. Let's be honest. If any of you asked me a year ago what grade I wanted to teach you probably heard the words "not kindergarten" come out of my mouth first. God has a sense of humor, though, doesn't He? He provided an opportunity for me to step into a half day PM kindergarten teaching position about two weeks after school started. I would be sharing a classroom with another half day teacher, and working with another full day Kindergarten teacher. Within the first week of my teaching half day, the AM teacher took a job at another school....so I inherited an AM class too! So I went from subbing to half day kindergarten to full day kindergarten in a matter of 10 days or so. Whew! What a whirlwind that was. My learning curve was more drastic than you ever could have imagined. AND I LOVE KINDERGARTEN. They seriously rock my world. Those little 5 and 6 year olds are a blessing to me each and every day. With only 10 days of school left in our school year, I'm wondering where the time has gone, but I wouldn't choose another grade for my first year as a full time teacher.

2) We got a dog. His name is Jeff. He lights up my life. He's a Border Collie mix (said the Humane Society) and we got him when he was 2 months old:
The poor little guy came to Portland from California, got fixed, saw his brother get adopted, and got adopted himself within a few days. Along with all that, this little pup had kennel cough too. When we saw him he just wanted to nuzzle our hands, and we couldn't pass him up. I wanted him bad. Now he's almost a year old:
His ears don't flop over as much anymore...the right one sticks straight up and the left only flops a little (sometimes forward, sometimes backward). He likes to sit on the back of the couch and watch out the window, steal my spot in bed when I get up in the morning, cuddle while I watch TV, go on walks, play with the neighbor dog, dig under the fence to get her, chew toys, "roll over," eat ice, jump on people when they walk through the door (we're working on that one), ride in the car, poop where we just picked it up, and wrestle with Dad (Josh). He wants to be a good boy, but sometimes he forgets what that looks like, and I think he loves us as unconditionally as we love him.

3) Josh became not only a journeyman plumber, but a business owner. That's right, meet Cameron Contractors, LLC. If I was any more proud of my husband, I might burst. He has worked is little booty off getting this thing going. Man-oh-man, I don't know how he does it. He get s a vision, and he finds a way to make it happen. If only I had that kind of drive... And he got his General Contractors license, so he can do so much! Seriously, if you're looking for someone to do some work for you - from plumbing to remodels - Josh is your guy! And if you get him in the summer time, you might be lucky enough to get some work from me too. I make a great apprentice for him :)

That's all the updating I have for now. Josh is on his way home, and he's taking me to sushi....YES! I love that man.

Oh, and I got a sewing machine, but it's report card time and my brain has officially fried at this point, so I'm done sharing :)


3 comments:

My-cliffnotes said...

Hoody hoo I miss you

Katrina said...

Yayy! Keep writing this summer! Oh, and come to Seattle so I can hear your laugh and feel short. Imissyou.

Unknown said...

Whew...even knowing all this already, it seems like so much in such a short period of time. No wonder we don't get to see each other as often as we'd like to. We'll have to work on that this summer!!